Saturday 23 June 2012

Book Corner: The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry

Hi Pals!

Let me begin by saying 'Happy Weekend'! I hope you're all enjoying it and doing fun weekend-type-things. I usually spend my weekends working (Boo!), and spending quality time with my love. But since this weekend he's away in London I thought I'd spend my Saturday night blogging about a book I've just finished and launching a new feature for It's a Blissful Life - Book Corner!
The title came from my old primary school, where it all began! (PS.You can read about my love of words here)
So a few weeks ago I decided to head to my local bookstore and spend some hard-earned cash on some new reading material. This week I completed one of those books. Book Corner is all about book reviews, recommendations, opinions and love! I hope you enjoy and take part.

Are you sitting comfortably? Then I'll begin...
The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry has been on my 'To-Read Radar' for quite some time. I've heard some lovely reviews from word of mouth, the internet and my Goodreads iPhone app. I'd heard it was a loving story which will make your heart swell, so I picked it up this week when I felt I needed a little love. 
I was not disappointed. 
The story centres around Harold. A retired gentleman who lives with his wife, Maureen. They live in South England and sleep in seperate bedrooms. They've hardly spoken in 20 years. 
One day Harold gets a letter from Queenie, an old work colleague who Harold hasn't seen in two decades, saying her goodbyes as she has terminal cancer. This is the story of Harold's journey from one end of England to the other in order to 'save' Queenie. 

The book is beautifully written. Each character has so much depth, and you end up feeling for each of them, and wanting the best for them. I cried out of love, sadness and happiness throughout this book and I am not a crier. 

I don't want to go too much into the story because if you're anything like me, you'd read spoilers if they're there and ruin the book for yourself. 

But I will say that I haven't spoken to anyone yet who didn't enjoy this book. It was so moving and real. Rachel Joyce is a talented author, and has a knack for portraying life, love and relationships in her writing. I would strongly recommend this book to anybody with a heart - it's just so touching. This was definitely a read that'll stay with me, and I'd like to think there's a little bit of Harold in all of us. 

We all need love, and a little faith. 

Happy reading! 

H xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment