Saturday 7 July 2012

Book Corner: The Book Thief

Just recently I have been on a reading frenzy! I finished The Book Thief last week and those of you who follow me on twitter will know how crazy I am over this book. 
It's saturday afternoon and I figured now is a good a time as any to post another Book Corner. 
So here's BC#3 - The Book Thief.

It's so hard to put into words how much you love something.
And that is exactly how I feel about this book. I love it. I am a massive reader, huge glorified self-acclaimed bookworm, and I have loved a lot of books. But I have never, ever loved a book so whole-heartedly that I'm willing to go out and buy ten copies of a book and just hand them out to people. This book is fantastic.
I was engrossed from the moment I picked the book up and read the blurb:

SOME IMPORTANT INFORMATION
This novel is narrated by death.

it's a small story about;
a girl
*
an accordionist
*
some fanatical Germans
*
a Jewish fist fighter
*
and quite a lot of thievery.

ANOTHER THING YOU SHOULD KNOW
DEATH WILL VISIT THE BOOK THIEF THREE TIMES.

The book is set in Nazi Germany and is centred around Liesel, a 9 year old girl sent to live with foster parents on Himmel Street after her parents are taken to a concentration camp. It follows her life as she begins life on Himmel Street with her foster parents, the residents of the street and the families she encounters.
I laughed to the point of tears; The Jesse Owens Incident is all I'm saying. I cried to the point of sobbing. 
Beautifully written, amazingly narrated and captivating from the first page right up until the last. It's made me re-evaluate how I've rated other books in the past, both in my head and on Goodreads (iPhone app I'll blog about soon). 

For all book-lovers out there, I urge you to pick this book up. Buy it, borrow it, download it. Just experience The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. It's breathtaking and altogether one of the best books I've read in my life.

Happy weekend reading! 

Love love, 

H xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment